Menu

Ombre Paper Mobile with Cricut Explore

You guys are going to fall in love with this Ombre Paper Mobile that I made from with my Cricut Explore!!  I know, I know, this is totally something you would see in a catalog
, right? 😉 *wink!  That’s just how great this project is!

My little sis is due with baby number two in June and I cannot wait!  Not long after I got my Cricut Explore she came to me with this idea (yes, I credit her for this darling mobile)!  I put my skills to the test; she was my guinea pig and it turned out great!

Now because this was my first time making this, I am really dumb and forgot to take step-by-step pictures (what was I thinking?)!!

So…you get these “in-a-nut-shell” instructions for now, and then when I make another one I will give you a better tutorial.  How does that sound?
We got 4 different colors of card stock and cut about 20 circles of each color.  We cut 3 different sizes of circles out.  We didn’t use all the cirlces we cut, but here is what we did use.
navy blue – twenty-two 2″ circles
light blue  – seven 2″ circles, eleven 1.6″ circles
white – nineteen 1.6″ circles
dark orange – eleven 1.6″ circles, nine 1.3″ circles
light orange – twenty-two 1.3″ circles

Now, you probably will not use all the circles.  Like I said, we cut about 20 of each color and then fished some out so that it didn’t look completely uniform.  Once you get all the circles cut, lay them out on the floor to position it how you want it to be spaced out.
You will then run each column through your sewing machine with a basic straight stitch.  When you are done sewing all of them, thread a needle with thick thread through the top circle of each column and then tie to the embroidery hoop (that you will paint beforehand) and hang with as well.
I don’t think you can mess up this paper mobile too much.  I think the ‘less-uniform’ it looks, the cuter it is!  Stagger the bottom so some strands hang lower than others.  *Just make sure you get it to hang straight!  😉

I have already had requests to make these ombre paper mobiles for other people.  If you live local and would like me to make one for you send me an e-mail.  Otherwise, if you have a Cricut you can totally make this yourself!  I promise I will add more detailed instructions soon!
I have raved about the Cricut Explore before and I will rave about it again.  This new machine makes any project so easy and quick from start to finish.  Mother’s Day is coming up and you may want to put a bug in your husband’s ear!  It is on Amazon and is a Prime item HERE
39 comments
Add a comment...

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

• Amber BradyApril 15, 2014 - 1:15 pm

I love the colors you chose! Super cute and looks simple!ReplyCancel

• Pam from Over the Big MoonApril 15, 2014 - 1:51 pm

Love this idea! I’m thinking my daughter needs one of these in her room!ReplyCancel

• Miss AngieApril 15, 2014 - 2:07 pm

Love this! Pinned it!ReplyCancel

• tonyhaFebruary 3, 2015 - 3:35 pm

Can you tell me how many circles you were able to cut from one sheet of card stock?ReplyCancel

• sweetcharliFebruary 3, 2015 - 7:37 pm

Hi!

I was able to cut all the circles necessary for one color out of one paper. I had 1/2 sheet left-over, if you place them right!ReplyCancel

• ValerieFebruary 8, 2015 - 10:57 pm

This is SO adorable! Would love to make this myself, but did you use a sewing machine to sew all the the circles and even between the circles? Or was it am embroidery machine? Regular sewing machine thread seems so delicate and small that it wouldn’t sew itself together between the circles… thanks!ReplyCancel

• sweetcharliFebruary 9, 2015 - 4:14 am

Hi Valerie. I did use just a sewing machine for them. I didn’t have any problem with the thread but when I wasn’t sewing the circles, and just the space between, I tugged on it to make it go through quicker and I think that may have helped.ReplyCancel

• ValerieFebruary 9, 2015 - 12:38 pm

Thanks so much! So you just used a regular sewing machine, needle and thread?ReplyCancel

• sweetcharliFebruary 9, 2015 - 3:35 pm

Yes! I didn’t do anything different! Hope you enjoy making it! 🙂 Thanks for reading!ReplyCancel

• EllenFebruary 11, 2015 - 1:55 am

I just purchased the cricut explore, but have never used one before! What do I need to do to have it cut the circles? Is there a setting for this or is it done in the design space?
    Thanks!ReplyCancel

• sweetcharliFebruary 11, 2015 - 5:30 pm

Hi Ellen!

Oh congrats on your new Explore, you will love it! You can just insert circles in Design Space and make them the desired sizes.ReplyCancel

• Jordan TraenMarch 22, 2015 - 9:43 pm

Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to make me one of these those exact colors? I am looking for some decor for my dorm room and i have never seen anything like this. I live in Kentucky but would gladly pay for shipping prices.ReplyCancel

• sweetcharliMarch 23, 2015 - 6:49 pm

Yes, I think I can do that! Would you mind emailing me your order so I don’t lose track?!! info@kamiwatson.com – thanks!ReplyCancel

• […]  Ombre Paper Mobile Be Happy Graphic Tee Polkadot Flower Pot Hello Pillow Onesies for Boys Quiet Book Felt Matching Game 10 Reasons Why You Need the Cricut Explore […]ReplyCancel

• TovahApril 20, 2015 - 11:44 pm

Hi! How much would you charge to make one for a nursery? Love it! ThanksReplyCancel

• sweetcharliApril 24, 2015 - 8:29 pm

Hi! I charge $50 and that includes shipping. Email me if you are interested and include the colors, etc. info@kamiwatson.com
      Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Charli LeWinterApril 21, 2015 - 12:18 am

First of all, great to see another Charli without an “e”. My daughter would like me to make her one of these for her nursery. I can do the circles.. I just don’t know how you sewed them with your machine and left spaces of just thread in between them. Can you please explain that to me? And you use any special thread? Thanks so much!

CharliReplyCancel

• sweetcharliApril 24, 2015 - 8:30 pm

Hi Charli without and e! Haha, I love it! 🙂

So as I was sewing the circles through the machine I had to pull a little in between each circle so that the thread would come out a bit. Does that make sense? I never stop my machine, I just put the next circle under the presser foot, sew it, pull, repeat. I hope that helps! I didn’t use any special thread, just normal! Thanks!ReplyCancel

• TovahApril 21, 2015 - 7:31 pm

Hi,

I am wondering how much you would charge to make one for my nursery? Thank you!ReplyCancel

• […] Ombre Paper Mobile  |  Sweet Charli […]ReplyCancel

• KimSeptember 6, 2015 - 9:58 pm

How big is the embroidery hoop that you used? So cute!ReplyCancel

• sweetcharliSeptember 12, 2015 - 3:42 am

Hi! I think it was 12″ 🙂ReplyCancel

• restjahrtema.scienceFebruary 7, 2016 - 7:59 pm

Easy Ombre Paper Mobile – this is a great idea, can be for any color scheme, but I like these colors for a boyReplyCancel

• RaeMay 25, 2016 - 4:59 am

Do you still make these and are you willing to ship for people who don’t live local?ReplyCancel

• sweetcharliJune 14, 2016 - 2:45 am

I am so sorry, I do not make these anymore. Thanks for your interest though!ReplyCancel

• Weekend FavoritesMarch 4, 2017 - 3:52 pm

[…] are you looking forward to most this weekend? 1. My husband and I are going to tackle this DIY paper mobile this weekend for the baby girl’s room. I have had a really hard time finding a mobile […]ReplyCancel

• JennyJune 26, 2017 - 3:18 am

Hi!! I found this post on Pinterest. I purchased a mobile like this form my son but a few years (and a cricut) later and I want to try to make my daughter’s on my own. I looked around your site a bit to find a more detailed tutorial, and tried to search online, but cannot find instructions for how to sew the shapes with spacing. Can you point me towards something that’ll show me how to do that? Any help would be appreciated!!
    Thanks so much,
    JennyReplyCancel

• […] sweetcharli […]ReplyCancel

• […] sweetcharli […]ReplyCancel

• […] this project with any colors you need to match the sweet little nursery it will […]ReplyCancel

• […] First Coffee sign | Framed paper succulents | Ombre paper mobile Framed canvas wall art | Bedroom wall […]ReplyCancel

• […] Source: sweetcharli […]ReplyCancel

• […] Image Source […]ReplyCancel

• […] make this Ombre Paper Mobile you will need round shaped paper cutouts in any color. Glue them to a string to make this […]ReplyCancel

• […] Ombre Paper Mobile from Sweet Charli […]ReplyCancel

• September Link ListSeptember 16, 2020 - 1:32 pm

[…] Ombre Paper Mobile (so pretty!). […]ReplyCancel

Hey, I'm Kami!

Welcome to the blog

Wife to my Jr. High sweetheart, mother to three daughters. I have always loved being social and staying connected with other people who have similar interests to me. I started a blog back in 2010 and have been in the social networking scene since then. I love meeting new people and helping them feel confident, and see their own beauty.

Ombre Paper Mobile with Cricut Explore

, right? 😉 *wink!  That’s just how great this project is!

navy blue – twenty-two 2″ circles